Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes

Yum
I like to call this my blue breakfast.  Blueberry, whole wheat pancakes and a blueberry smoothie.


I must share something with you all (or y'all which ever you prefer). My husband is weird.  He sings random, made up songs and changes the words to regular songs all the time.  I found this slightly odd and endearing at first, and now I hardly notice.  I have even started to pick up this habit.  While I was making this breakfast I was singing 'Blue Breakfast' to the tune of Blue Christmas and changing the words to suit my needs  (and I don't sing well luckily my husband picked up the tune and took it from there).   Yes we are weird.

Anyway.  For this breakfast I used my usual Whole Wheat Pancake recipe and just added blue berries.  This makes for a delicious and nutritious breakfast.


A tip I picked up from a cooking show:
  •  Do not mix the blue berries in to the pancake batter (they will crush and you will have funny colored pancakes or sink to the bottom).  Instead sprinkle the blueberries on the individual pancakes, in the pan, while the batter is still soft, before you flip it.  Press the blueberries as deep into the batter as you can to keep them from falling out while flipping.


I think this is the best way to make blueberry pancakes.  The blueberries stay intact and they are well spaced so you can have the amount of blueberries you want in every bite.  This recipe made about 5-6 pancakes and I also made some bacon.



For the smoothie:

2 apple bananas (the small bananas)
1 cup frozen blueberries
Kefir (enough to fill the blender to 750 ml)

Put all ingredients in a blender and puree or liquify (or whatever is preferred on your blender for smoothies) until all ingredients are mixed and smooth.

 This was a great breakfast and it felt great having a well balanced meal.  If you find blueberries at your store (of if you are lucky enough to have a blueberry bush), make pancakes. The time for pancakes is now! Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment