Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Beef and Pineapple Shish Kabobs

Yum

Marinated beef, pineapple chunks, red bell pepper, and red onion grilled on bamboo skewers.


When my husband brought home a pineapple I was at a loss for what to do with it.  However, this did not last long and I decided on shish kabobs.  My original plan was to use shrimp but there were sirloin cuts on sale, so beef it was.  I decided to use a marinade for the beef.  I don't usually marinate beef (I use mostly dry rubs) but I saw some recipes online and decided to try them.  I used vinegar and pineapple juice in my marinade and the beef was tasty, but the acidic marinade gave the beef a grainy texture that was not great.  Sometimes you learn from trial and error.  It didn't ruin the meal, but I now know not to do it again.  The juice and vinegar didn't even add that much flavor and the recipe would be great without them.   So I am omitting the acids from the recipe here and I highly suggest never using acids in beef marinades.  The following recipe will still add plenty of flavor to the beef and hopefully prevent the strange texture.  Aside from the weird graininess these kabobs were awesome and I would not hesitate to make them again.

Ingredients:

2 pounds sirloin, cubed
2 red onions, cubed
2 cups pineapple, cubed
2 red bell peppers, cubed

Marinade:

2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger, minced
1 Tbsp lemon grass, minced (optional)

Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour over beef, in a seal-able bag,  Shake and mix thoroughly then allow to sit in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.

Meanwhile soak 8 bamboo skewers in water and chop the rest of the ingredients into about 1 inch cubes.

Thread beef and vegetable (and pineapple) cubes onto skewers.  I had enough for 3 pieces of beef for each skewer.  Reserve any leftover vegetables and pineapple to saute as a side.

Grill the skewers for a couple of minutes on both sides until beef is done to your preference.

Makes about 4-6 servings (1-2 skewers per person).  Serve over rice with sauteed vegetables and pineapple on the side.  Enjoy.


 Make Pina Coladas with any leftover pineapple to accompany the meal.  I just blended together pineapple, ice, rum, and a little coconut milk.



No comments:

Post a Comment