Sunday, March 3, 2013

Whole Wheat Pancakes with Berry Syrup

Yum

Fluffy, low fat, whole wheat pancakes topped with a mixed berry syrup.  A great weekend breakfast.


I haven't made a big breakfast in two months.  Now my husband is back from his long trip I made him a good breakfast for his first weekend home.  I have really gotten stuck on this whole wheat pancake recipe it is the only kind of pancakes I make anymore.  I think this is a healthier version of pancakes, and it tastes great, I don't even crave regular pancakes.  This recipe uses whole wheat flour which is better for you than white (more processed) flour, and there is no added oil in the batter.  I probably ruin the low fat aspect of these pancakes by frying them in butter, but if there was oil or butter in the batter I would still fry them in butter so there is less fat.  You can probably make these completely without oil or butter if you use a good non stick skillet.  I also topped these pancakes with a delicious mixed berry syrup but they are terrific on their own or with just plain maple syrup.

Pancakes:

From Low Fat Whole Wheat Pancakes  also used in my Pumpkin Pancakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking Powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup kefir or buttermilk
2 Tbsp honey

Mix all of the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in a separate bowl.  When ready to make pancakes mix the wet with the dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated.  Fry about 1/3 cup of batter in a pan over medium-medium low heat until it starts to bubble and set (about 1 minute) then flip and cook the other side.  Makes about 6 pancakes.

Berry syrup:

1 cup frozen mixed berries (or fresh if you have them)
juice from 1 lemon
about 1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup

In a small saucepan over medium low heat mix the above ingredients (start with less syrup and add more to sweeten to your taste).  Allow mixture to come to a boil then remove from heat and mash the berries with a potato masher, or the back of a fork.  You could also process in a blender for a smoother consistency, but I like the chunks of berries.  Pour into a container with a spout and serve over pancakes.  My husband doesn't like warm syrup, so I refrigerated the syrup for a while before serving.  The syrup turned out kind of runny, I liked it, but maybe you can thicken it with a little cornstarch (I'm not sure) if you want it thicker.

I served the pancakes with bacon and scrambled eggs.  Fruit would be a great addition if you have any. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment