Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Prime Rib

Yum

A juicy and tender beef rib roast served with a baked potato, cauliflower, and Au jus.  The perfect anniversary dinner.


My husband surprised me, for our anniversary, with a prime rib roast.  I did not want to cook (and clean) on my anniversary so my idea was "lets go out".  However my husband had an even better idea, he was willing to cook and it turned out great (my pictures hardly do it justice).

It's really funny, all of my husband's coworkers think he can't cook.  He is always telling them about what I made for dinner, and I enjoy cooking (and usually do it) so his coworkers just think that he can't cook.  My husband is a great cook, he has actually taught me a few things over the years.  I cook mainly because he works, and I have fun experimenting, and he is not picky.  He usually enjoys what ever I make and is happy that there is dinner when he gets home.  But occasionally he likes to cook, and often he comes up with great ideas.  This whole meal was planned and executed by my husband.  It was the perfect anniversary dinner.

This is the roast before cooking, he rubbed it (all over) with a steak seasoning blend and some rosemary.  It sat out at room temperature for about an hour to take the chill off.  Then he seared it in a hot pan with butter on all sides.  Finally, he baked it in the oven at 275 for about 2 hours until the internal temperature reached 120.  Then he tented it with aluminum foil and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.

This it the cooked roast.  While waiting for the roast to rest he made a kind of au jus dipping sauce. Right after he seared the meat, he poured 1 cup of water into the cooling skillet.  To this he added some beef bulion and the pan drippings from the roast and let it simmer for a couple minutes.

We had our prime rib with baked potatoes, cauliflower, and red wine.  this served the two of us with 1 pound of meat leftover.  This prime rib was delicious, I think it was just as good, if not better than any I've had at a steak house.

After our amazing dinner we had our own personal fireworks display.  They shoot off fireworks over Honolulu harbor at midnight for the new year.  This year our fireworks didn't start until about 15 minutes after midnight.  We were starting to think we wouldn't have any this year but we could see all kinds of other fireworks from other places on the island (off in the distance).  Just as we were about to give up and go inside the harbor fireworks started.  Here is video of the fireworks.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment