Saturday, November 3, 2012

Habanero Brownies

Yum

Decadent, fudgy brownies with a gentle heat from fresh habaneros. A wonderful desert for any adventurous chocolate lover. 


 I have great success growing habaneros in my container garden and am always looking for new ways to use them. While my husband can stand the heat, I have to be a bit more creative with how I use these hot little peppers. But, it is always refreshing that if I do not succeed in my attempts it will not be too spicy for him and he will love it.  Adding habaneros, minus the seeds, to my favorite brownie recipe was a success.

I do not remember where I came across this brownie recipe, but it makes super moist, fudgy brownies. The trick is that this recipe contains more butter and eggs, and less flour. This is not a dieter's brownie.



2 fresh habaneros, seeds removed
6oz baking chocolate
2 sticks butter
4 eggs
2 C sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
½ C flour
6oz semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 300 degrees, and grease an 8 by 8 baking pan. I also lined the pan with a strip of baking parchment  (for easy removal).

Finely mince the habaneros and mix with the butter. I used a food processor to mince the habaneros and mix them with 1 stick of butter. Then I scraped the mixture into a microwave-safe bowl with the rest of the butter and melted the butter in the microwave. To this I added the equivalent of 6oz baking chocolate, in cocoa powder and more butter (as per package 3 Tbsp cocoa + 1 Tbsp shortening = 1oz baking chocolate ). Yes instead of shortening I used butter. Mix in 4 eggs, vanilla, sugar, and flour. I used bread flour because it's what I had on hand, I don't think it makes any difference. *You could probably use a gluten free flour mix with success. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake 45-55 minutes or until set. Let cool completely in pan and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 16.

These brownies were a huge hit. Fudgy and spicy. They were not too spicy but you could feel some heat at the back of your throat. The habanero flavor blended well with the chocolate. They were delicious.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment