Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sardine Salad

Yum

A delicious, nutritious and surprisingly filling salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion and sardines. 

 


Sardines, these small fish are a good source of omega-3s, they have a lower mercury content, and they are typically inexpensive. Also the canned sardines usually still have the bone in and it's soft and edible making them a good source of calcium.

Here is my recipe for sardine salad:

2 cans of sardines (or 2 servings)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Dried oregano, to taste
Juice from 1 lemon

Lettuce, about 3-4 hand fulls
1 cucumber, chopped (bite sized)
15-20 cherry tomatoes, split (or leave them whole if you prefer)
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced

I had sardines packed in tomato sauce, so I drained and rinsed them first. Then I tossed them into my big salad bowl, added the olive oil, and mixed them around breaking the sardines into small pieces. To the sardine mixture I added the mustard, oregano, and lemon juice. I stirred quickly, making a sort of emulsion then, added the veggies and tossed. This made 2 servings.

Such an easy and inexpensive meal; this tasted fantastic. It was not overly fishy, and it was incredibly filling. Because I like bread with salads, I served this with a bagel and cream cheese, but it would also be great with pita and hummus, or on it own. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment