Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday Breakfast: Sourdough Crepes

Yum

Crepes made from sourdough starter and stuffed with tropical fruit salad with, of course, bacon on the side.



I had my first crepes last weekend from a local restaurant and they were fantastic.  I had them on my brain all week and I decided to try and make them at home.  I have made sourdough pancakes before and I was curious if you could make sourdough crepes as well.  I searched online and found this Sourdough Crepes Recipe.  It looked simple enough so I tried it.


Having never made crepes I was surprised by how simple they were.  I don't have a special crepe pan I just used my regular 8 inch non stick frying pan and plastic spatula and they worked great.  I even think they are easier than making pancakes.  Learn how to make crepes here.

Best of all it used up extra sourdough that would have been thrown away during my next refresh.  I also did not need to feed the sourdough the night before.  The crepe batter was prepared right before cooking.  Easy peasy (lemon squeezy).

These crepes were delicious and simple a definite make again recipe.


Ingredients:

1 cup sourdough barm (100% hydration)
3 eggs
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/4-1/2 cup milk



In a medium bowl mix together the barm, eggs, and butter until smooth.  Stir in enough milk until the batter is runny.

Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat and rub with butter.  Pour one ladle full of batter onto the center of the pan.

Pick up the pan and rotate it spreading the batter into a wider circle.  Continue rotating the pan until the batter no longer moves.  Place pan back on the burner.

Gently run the spatula around the edges of the crepe to loosen them.  Lift and flip the crepe when the batter is set and no longer shiny (it only takes seconds).

Cook the crepe for about 30 seconds on the other side.  Remove crepe to a plate, butter the pan and repeat.  Makes about 5 10-inch crepes.  You can stack the crepes one atop the other until ready to fill and eat.

I filled my crepes with a tropical fruit salad made with pineapple, banana, mango and coconut milk (I will post the recipe next week).  You can fill these crepes with anything you like sweet or savory are all tasty.  Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment