Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday Breakfast: Breakfast Green Beans

Yum

Green beans for breakfast?  Adding bacon and eggs to the beans creates a delicious morning vegetable.



A friend of mine recently gave me some home grown green beans.  I love green beans and decided to cook them immediately.  This happened to be for breakfast.  I was kind of at a loss on how to make them breakfast food, but I always like green beans with bacon so I figured it wouldn't be too hard to turn them into breakfast fare.  I also had french toast and more bacon with the beans but the beans could easily be an entire meal on their own (I just had stale bread and wanted to finish my pack of bacon).  The green beans turned out delicious.  I made this recipe as I went along just adding things that I had in the fridge.  Here is my recipe.



Ingredients:

2 cups green beans, 2 inch pieces
2-3 strips bacon, cut into small pieces
1 small red onion, sliced
1/4 cup water
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
dash hot sauce, optional
2 Tbsp blue cheese
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste



In a large frying pan cook the bacon pieces until crisp.

Add the red onion and saute until soft and then add the green beans and a sprinkle of salt.  Add about 1/4 cup water and steam the beans (covered) until tender.


Meanwhile, mix the eggs and milk adding salt and pepper to taste and hot sauce if preferred (how ever you like scrambled eggs).

When the beans are just tender, uncover and add the egg mixture.  Stir well until the egg is cooked then turn off heat and add the cheese and green onions, mixing well.

Serve immediately.  Makes 2-3 servings.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment