Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Recipe Remake: A More Filling Granola

Yum

A sweet and crunchy granola made with nuts, seeds and rolled grains.  A great  breakfast or snack.


My goal for this granola is to have high protein, high fiber and more calories.  I am not a good breakfast eater, and I usually do not feel like eating much first thing in the morning.  So I am trying to make this granola more filling so it satisfies my hunger and lasts until lunch time.  This granola recipe is a remake of my basic How to Make Granola.  I used more of a mix of nuts, seeds and rolled grains, but the basic recipe is still the same.  Here is what I used.


Ingredients:

1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup rolled barley
1 cup 5 grain rolled cereal (barley, oats, rye, wheat and flax)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups raisins


Stir and mix the ingredients (except raisins) until all of the nuts and grains are coated with liquid.  Pour into a 9 by 13 inch baking pan (I use Pyrex).  Bake at 250F for 1.5-2 hours, stirring very 30 minutes until golden and crunchy.  Remove granola from oven and add raisins along the top as the granola cools.  Once cool, transfer to a seal-able container.  Serve over milk, yogurt, or kefir.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment