Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pepper and Onion Breakfast Pizza

Yum

A crunchy and delicious breakfast pizza with roasted peppers and onions atop cream cheese on a pita with a beautiful egg center stage.


I do not like eggs.  I keep trying them in a variety of ways, but no matter what I have tried I just do not like plain eggs.  However, I have found I enjoy eggs if they are with other ingredients.  I like quiche with bacon and plenty of cheese, and I like scrambled eggs with salsa.  This Breakfast Pizza is another way I can enjoy an egg.  Here the egg lies in the center of roasted peppers and onions atop a cream cheese spread pitta and is baked until set.  I found this recipe on another blog but it was called a Galette and was atop a sour cream spread puff pastry.  I never have puff pastry on hand, I'm sure it is delicious but I'm kind of bitter that it isn't something I can make so I almost never buy it.  I had just recently made Ricotta Bread Pitas so I used that instead.  Since the bread base is thicker and hardier than puff pastry I also decided to use cream cheese and I call it a pizza because I'm not sure if I can call it a galette anymore.  No mater what I call it, it is good.

Ingredients:

1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 large red onion, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
dash cumin
dash coriander
2 pitas
2 Tbsp cream cheese (or try fresh ricotta)
2 large eggs
a few snips of fresh cilantro

Toss the peppers and onions with spices and some olive oil.  Spread on a baking sheet and roast at 400F for 20 minutes until soft and caramelized.

Spread about 1 Tbsp of cream cheese on each pitta.  Then, top with roasted peppers and onions.  Make a kind of well in the center and pour in a cracked egg being careful not to break the yolk (I crack the eggs one at a time into a small bowl or ramekin, then pour it onto the pizza).  Bake pizzas at 425F for about 10-15 minutes until eggs are set.

Remove pizzas from oven and top with a sprinkle of fresh snipped cilantro or parsley.  Makes 2 individual pizzas.  Enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment