Monday, January 28, 2013

Meatball Sub

Yum

Way better than subway.  This Meatball Sub is the third meal made from my Slow Cooker Meatballs in a Whole Wheat Italian roll smothered in cheese.


Meatball Sub:  Way better than subway.  This Meatball Sub is the third meal made from my Slow Cooker Meatballs in a Whole Wheat Italian roll smothered in cheese.
I really love meatballs.  They are so versatile.  I am usually not a fan of eating leftovers, but when I'm just cooking for myself it's much easier.  The main reason I made the Slow Cooker Meatballs was that I wouldn't mind eating them for a week.  Part of their attraction is that I can do so many different things with them to make them just a little different.

I thought about making a Meatball Sub even before the meatballs were cooked. To make sure my meatball sub was perfect I made home made rolls for it.  The most important thing in making a good sandwich is good bread.  Of course making your own is not a must, but I urge you to use a good hoagie roll. I will post my Whole Wheat Italian Bread recipe soon.

Ingredients:
*For one sandwich

Roll
3-4 meatballs and sauce
2 Tbsp parmesan cheese
1/4-1/2 cup mozzarella

Split open a roll and tear out a shallow trench from the center (to make a depression for the meatballs so they don't fall out.  You can save the bread scraps for bread crumbs--I just ate them because I was using a delicious fresh homemade bread and couldn't resist.).  Line the depression with 3-4 meatballs and pour some sauce over.  Sprinkle on the parmesan and then the mozzarella.  With the sandwich laying flat, broil in the oven until the cheese melts and the meatballs are heated  (I did this on a low rack far from the top heating element it took longer to melt the cheese but it assured that the meatballs were heated through before browning--about 15 minutes). Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment