Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Moroccan Raw Carrot Salad

Yum

A delicious and colorful carrot slaw with bold flavors.


Moroccan Raw Carrot Salad:  A delicious and colorful carrot slaw with bold flavors.



I believe this original recipe comes from the book Olive Trees and Honey by Gil Marks, but I found it here.  This recipe quickly became a favorite.  It is crunchy and sweet and spicy with warm flavors.  I make this salad all the time.


The main reason I bought a food processor was for this salad.  You can use coarsely grated carrots, but I prefer julienned, and it is so much quicker and easier to cut them with a food processor.  For years when I made this salad I would have to purchase a bag of juliened carrots, for slaw, because my knife skills are not good enough to do it by hand.  So when I finally decided to get a food processor I made sure to get one that had a julienne blade.  Just a couple of minutes and I have all the julienned carrots I need.


Ingredients:

4 cups carrots, julienned
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp harissa (or cayenne), optional


Place the carrots in a large bowl.


In a smaller bowl mix the oil, lime juice, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, garlic and harissa (I've used all kinds of hot sauces, cayenne, and I've even used a habanero--blended to a puree with the liquids--they all taste great).


Pour the dressing over the carrots and mix until thoroughly coated.  Lastly, stir in the chopped cilantro.  Often I make the salad in a large seal-able container and just shake it to combine (with the lid on of course).

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or over night to allow the flavors to meld (the longer it sits the better it tastes).  Serve cold or at room temperature (I prefer it cold).

makes 5-6 servings.

This salad is great with sandwiches, burgers, and barbeque (just about everything).  Try it instead of your usual slaw.




Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment