Monday, October 7, 2013

Asian Slaw

Yum

An Asian themed slaw made with cabbage, daikon, and carrot mixed with an Asian-style vinaigrette.  A great accompaniment to an Asian Pork Burger or any burger.  

Asian Slaw:  An Asian themed slaw made with cabbage, daikon, and carrot mixed with an Asian-style vinaigrette.  A great accompaniment to an Asian Pork Burger or any burger.

I love slaws (I notice I say this about a lot of foods but it's true).  They are a great way to eat your vegetables and those vegetables are raw.  I like to add raw vegetables to my dinners when I can because they are said to retain more nutrients and be good for your digestion (I also like the crunchy crispness).  I think slaws are the perfect vegetable side/salad to serve with burgers and sandwiches.  When I made Asian Pork Burgers it was natural to make an Asian Slaw to go with them.


Ingredients:

1/2 head of Napa cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, julienned
1 small daikon, julienned

Vinaigrette:

1/3 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/3 cup lime juice
1/2-1 cup sliced green onions
(you could also add some sesame seeds too)


Wash and shred or julienne the vegetables (when I say a small daikon, this was one that was about the size of a carrot.  I don't know about all daikons, but the usual ones I find here are more the size of a tree branch so it took me a while to find one small enough for my purpose).  Toss and mix the vegetables in a large bowl.


Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and pour over the vegetables.  Stir together with a large spoon, or I like to use a seal-able container and shake it, until vegetables are thoroughly coated and mixed.


Cover, or seal, bowl and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving (over night is even better).  As the slaw sits, the flavors meld and it tastes even better.

Makes about 6-8 servings.  I prefer to serve it cold, but room temperature is ok too.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment