Monday, August 5, 2013

Simple Pasta Sauce

Yum

A simple tomato pasta sauce with many variations.


Simple Pasta Sauce:  A simple tomato pasta sauce with many variations.

I do not like to buy pasta sauce.  I have in the past and there is nothing wrong with it, but it is so easy to make your own sauce with whatever you want in it.  I also believe that this method is a bit less expensive. All you have to do is open a couple of cans.

I know that most people use stewed whole tomatoes (canned) to make pasta sauce, but I use canned, diced tomatoes.  There are so many other uses for diced tomatoes, besides pasta, that I always have them in my pantry (and when you buy them in bulk they are very inexpensive).  I also use tomato paste in my sauce for the same reasons.  As you can see in the ingredients I don't really measure the spices I just throw in what smells good and what I like.  This recipe is easily alterable and you can modify it to your tastes.  If you are interested in a simple pasta sauce for when you make pasta for dinner, read on.



Ingredients:

1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 palm full garlic powder (1-2 Tbsp)
1 palm full dried minced onions (about 1/4 cup)
1 palm full dried bail (1-2 Tbsp)
several shakes dried oregano (1/4-1/2 tsp)
several shakes dried Thyme (1/4-1/2 tsp)
red pepper flakes, to taste
2 cups frozen chopped spinach (optional)
1 cup garbanzo beans (optional)
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste


In a medium to large sauce pan, over medium heat, drizzle in the olive oil.  Then add the tomatoes, paste, and spices.

Next, add the spinach and beans (if using); then, pour in the red wine.  Stir until well mixed and add the water until the sauce becomes the consistency you want (you can omit the wine and just use more water, or use a chicken or vegetable broth). Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste.

When sauce begins to simmer lower the heat and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes.

Pour or spoon over favorite pasta, makes about 4-6 servings.  I added spinach and garbanzo beans to this sauce but you can omit them and/or add your own extras (the serving size will change with additions or subtractions).


Variations:

Meat sauce:  Brown ground beef, chicken, or Italian sausage and drain before adding the tomatoes and spices.
Roasted Garlic Sauce:  Add some roasted garlic, as much as you like (I would add a whole bulb)
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:  Add a roasted red pepper or two, diced or pureed.
Vegetable Sauce:  Add diced zucchini and/or eggplant, cook them in the olive oil until tender before adding every thing else.

These are just a few variations.  The ideas are endless just be creative or use what you have on hand.  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment