Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Eggplant with Chillies and Thai Basil

Yum

A meatless stir fry made with eggplant, chillies, and Thai basil



I had some leftover Thai chillies from an earlier recipe and I wanted an easy quick recipe for dinner.  So I searched online for spicy Asian recipes and I found this (too bad the site is gone:( update9/21/13 ) site.  It's great, tons of recipes from all over and they all seemed simple to make.  I was looking for a simple stir fry and found a Eggplant with Chillies and Basil (also gone 9/21/13) it was exactly what I wanted.  I also found some other great recipes to try but that will be later.  Update 9/21/13:  I'm really sad that this website is no longer in existence.  At least I got a few recipes before it came down.


Ingredients:

4-5 Asian eggplants
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 chillies, minced
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp fish sauce
1 cup Thai basil, leaves and flowers

 Cut eggplant, crosswise, into 1-2 inch pieces.  Then cut each piece, longwise, into 4-6 pieces.

Steam the eggplant in a steamer basket for a few minutes until partially softened.  Remove from steamer and set aside.

Heat about 1 Tbsp oil (I used coconut oil and it added a great hint of coconut flavor) in a large pan  over medium heat.  Add the garlic and chillies and cook until softened and fragrant (about 1 minute).

Add the steamed eggplant and toss with the garlic mixture for a couple of minutes then add the oyster sauce, sugar, and fish sauce.  Mix well and add some water if needed to help cook the eggplant to desired softness.

Lastly, add the basil and cook until wilted.  Remove from heat and serve over rice with torn fresh basil on top.  Makes 2-4 servings.  Add chopped peanuts on top if you like.  Enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment