Monday, March 11, 2013

Taco Salad

Yum

Spicy ground beef atop a bed of lettuce and tortilla chips.  My favorite meal.


Taco Salad:  spicy ground beef atop a bed of lettuce and tortilla chips.  My favorite meal.



First I must mention, I have a new camera.  I've been taking pictures on my phone for the ease of transferring them to my online album.  I want to take better pictures, but I know that the more steps I have to take (like hooking my camera to my computer to transfer pictures) the fewer posts I will get out.  So I've been lusting after this Samsung camera that is wifi capable and will directly transfer my photos to Picasa where they will be waiting for me when I turn on my computer.  Lucky me it was on sale and I'm the proud new owner of a Samsung WB250f.  Now I just have to work on styling and lighting my photos, but they are already much better quality.

Taco Salad:  spicy ground beef atop a bed of lettuce and tortilla chips.  My favorite meal.

Now to the food.  Taco salad my favorite meal.  I have loved taco salad for as long as I can remember.  On my birthday, while growing up, my mom would always make my favorite meal and I would always ask for taco salad.  It's funny, now that I'm grown I still love taco salad but I don't make it very often.  I think that I get so excited to try new meals that I push my favorite stand by to the back of the queue.  I had no plans for dinner one night and was pleasantly surprised when my husband suggested tacos, which became taco salad.

Taco Salad


Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1 cup black beans, precooked
1 onion, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
*1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
Tortilla chips
Toppings of choice  (lettuce, carrots, celery, peppers, onion, cilantro, cheese, salsa)

Taco Salad:  spicy ground beef atop a bed of lettuce and tortilla chips.  My favorite meal.

* I made the taco seasoning a while ago and don't remember the exact ingredients, but it should be mostly paprika and garlic, some onion powder and chilli powder with some crushed habanero and red pepper, can make as spicy as you like.

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain off fat.

Add the onions and jalapenos (I kept the seeds in one and removed them from the other, remove or keep the seeds to suit your heat preference).  Cook until softened, adding salt and pepper to taste.

Add the beans (I keep precooked beans in 1 cup packages in the freezer then I just thaw them.  You can use a whole can of beans if that is what you have you may just need to adjust the seasoning.)  and the spices, salsa and water.

Allow to simmer on low heat, covered, for at least 15 minutes then uncover and let simmer until most of the liquid is boiled off.  Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.

Makes 4 servings.  Serve over tortilla chips with toppings of your preference. When I was growing up, we used Cool Ranch Doritos as the chips for taco salad (that was so good).

Enjoy.

Taco Salad:  spicy ground beef atop a bed of lettuce and tortilla chips.  My favorite meal.



Follow Joy Bee's board Joybee Whats for Dinner blog posts on Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment