Friday, February 1, 2013

Parmesan and Garlic Roasted Broccoli

A deliciously simple vegetable side of roasted broccoli flavored with parmesan, garlic and a dash of lemon juice.


I don't eat enough vegetables.  I eat more than I used to, but it's still not anywhere close to the daily recommended amount of 5 servings.  It's not that I don't like vegetables, it's just that I don't think to cook or have them.  I have no problem getting my veggies when I make a vegetarian stir fry, or a vegetable based entree, it's when I don't that is the problem.  This is more of a problem when I'm by myself.  I just have more of a drive to make a vegetable side or two when I'm making food to share. Anyway, I'm working on eating more vegetables.  One thing I know I need to do is have a vegetable side with lunch too, not just rely on dinner but that is a challenge for me and I'm working on it.  Here is a delicious recipe for broccoli that I threw together.  Usually I just steam broccoli and I enjoy it that way but I was feeling like something different. 

Ingredients:

1 head of broccoli, cut into large florets
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh shredded parmesan
2 Tbsp olive oil
juice from 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper


Put broccoli, garlic, and parmesan (you could also use garlic powder and grated parmesan--shaker cheese) in a large bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste then drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice.  Toss to combine.  The olive oil should make the garlic and parmesan stick to the broccoli.  Roast in a single layer in a 400F oven for 15-20 minutes until browned and aromatic.  I like my broccoli to still have a bite to it and be closer to the raw side.  If you prefer it softer cook longer or make the florets smaller.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment