Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How to Roast Garlic

A simple tutorial on how to roast garlic.


Roasted garlic is a must have for certain dishes.  It adds a great flavor to breads (such as Potato Garlic Bread), sauces, hummus, and of course makes the best garlic bread (I will post about garlic bread soon).  Here is my way to make roasted garlic.

Start with a whole head of garlic, or just a few cloves (my opinion is more is better, I love roasted garlic).  Using a serrated knife or kitchen shears, cut off the bottoms of each clove.  Some people keep the whole head of garlic intact and cut off the hard bottom piece, but I find that I end up wasting too much garlic that way.

Place the cloves of garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil (no need to peel the cloves) and drizzle or spray on some olive oil (you don't need much, about a teaspoon or less).  Fold the foil around the garlic and bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes (I use a toaster oven for this, no need to heat up the big oven for a small packet of garlic).
After about 15 minutes you will start to smell roasted garlic but keep it in the oven the whole time until it softens.  (This is my favorite house freshener.  I just have a small apartment and it makes the whole place smell great.  I joke with my husband that I'm going to rub some roasted garlic behind my ears like perfume...I love this stuff and my husband does too.)  Remove from oven, or turn the heat off, and let cool until it is able to be handled.  Then open the foil packet.

The garlic should be soft and slip out of the papery peel with just a squeeze on the top of the clove.  The soft garlic can be easily mashed once it is out of the peel and is ready to be added to any recipe.

This is some roasted garlic in butter waiting to be mashed and mixed then spread on bread for garlic bread.  More on that later.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment