Saturday, December 15, 2012

Greek Pizza

Yum

Well, my version of a Greek pizza which is leftover pita topped with tomatoes, red bell peppers, eggplant, and feta.  A delicious meal.



I had some pitas and some feta left over from when I made Tabouli and Greek Salad.  Whenever I have leftover cheese I always think pizza.  I love pizza, usually I make my own pizza dough, but since I had pitas too, I decided to make pita pizzas with a Greek flare.  The eggplant, peppers and tomatoes were easy and inexpensive to obtain.  I was not happy with using plain fresh vegetables, which would have been fine, I wanted to bring out more flavor by roasting them.  I dried the tomatoes in the oven at a low temperature for many hours until they became dehydrated (I did this a few days before I made the pizzas).  I will eventually post exactly how I did this, but store bought sun-dried tomatoes would work just fine.  I also roasted the red bell peppers, again details for another post.  You can also buy roasted red peppers at the store, I just find it cheaper to do myself.  Lastly I roasted the sliced eggplant, seasoned with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, under the broiler for a few minutes until soft and browned.

Here is my recipe.

Ingredients:

4 Pitas
1/4 cup Feta
1/4-1/3 cup Mozzarella
2 roasted red bell peppers
1 small eggplant, sliced and roasted
12 cherry tomatoes, halved and dried
1 head of roasted garlic mashed with 1 tsp olive oil



First I brushed the pitas with roasted garlic/olive oil mixture.  Then I layered about 5 pieces of tomato, 3 strips of pepper and 2-3 slices of eggplant.  Lastly I topped each pizza with a little mozzarella and feta.  The pizzas were then baked in a 475 degree oven for about 5-8 minutes until the cheese was melted and browned.  Made 4 small pizzas, enough for 2 people.

These pizzas were absolutely delicious. The flavors all complemented each other nicely, and they were incredibly filling.  One thing I might add would be an olive tapenade instead of the roasted garlic for the pizza sauce.  It was great the way it was, but if I had a tapenade around I bet it would be even better.  If anyone tries this let me know how it turns out.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment