Saturday, December 1, 2012

Bacon Egg and Cheese Bake and Cinnamon Spice Bites

Yum

Refrigerator biscuit dough (the kind in a can) can be very useful for last minute breakfast preparation.  These two dishes are made with 1 can (8 biscuits) and some eggs, cheese, and bacon for one and cinnamon sugar and butter for the other.

 


The inspiration for these dishes came from I Wash You Dry, a post about 10  ways to use refrigerator biscuits.

I was watching cooking shows, on TV last night and, as always, they made me kind of hungry.  It was close to bedtime, so I didn't want to pig out, and that's what made me start to think about breakfast ideas.  I had a can of biscuits in the freezer (I know they say not to freeze, but it didn't seem to hurt them) so I put them in the refrigerator to thaw.  Then I went surfing the web to find good ideas and some basic ways to use them.  This morning I tried some of the ideas I found and I was very pleased with the results.  Here are my recipes.

Bacon Egg and Cheese Bake:

7 strips  of bacon, chopped and cooked til crispy
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
3 tsps hot sauce
salt and pepper
2 Tbsps grated parmesan cheese
3 slices of smoked Gouda, chopped
2 slices cheddar, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsps dried, minced onions
4 biscuits, cut into 4ths

I just put the eggs in a bowl and beat them together with all of the ingredients.  You can use shredded cheese of any variety, I just used what I had, and you can season with what ever you like in your scrambled eggs.  If you have any cooked vegetables or spinach on hand you can add them as well.  Make sure to toss the biscuit pieces in gently so they don't get torn.  pour into a greased 8 by 8 inch baking pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until set.  Cover with aluminum foil if the tops begin to get too brown before the center is done.

Cinnamon Spice Bites:

4 biscuits, cut into 4ths
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
1 Tbsp butter

Toss the biscuit pieces in the cinnamon sugar, I used pumpkin pie spiced sugar which I still had leftover, until coated.  Lay the biscuits, in a single layer, in a small buttered baking dish.  Sprinkle any remaining sugar on top, add a few pats of butter on top and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.

These two dishes smelled amazing while cooking, and they were very tasty.  I liked having the sweet cinnamon bites on the side of the savory bacon and egg bake.  Together these two dishes made about 4 servings, which is plenty for just me and my husband.  If you are feeding more people, just double or triple the recipes.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment