Monday, May 9, 2011

Joybee's Baking Journal: Chocolate Orange Bread (variation of Portuguese Sweet Bread)

Yum
A friend of mine, after tasting the Portuguese sweet bread, suggested that I try a chocolate bread with the citrus flavor. How could I resist?

I made the same recipe for Portuguese sweet bread, but this time I used 14 oz barm(7 oz water, 7 oz flour), 6 TBSP cocoa powder and only orange and vanilla extract, then in the final 2 minutes of kneading I added 1 cup of chocolate chips.

The dough was stiff, tacky but not wet or sticky. As with the other recipe, this dough did not rise much if at all.

Conclusion:


The bread is chocolate in color, with a tight crumb studded with chocolate chips. The loaves are small and dense with a soft crust. The chocolate flavor is mild, a little bitter (not too sweet), with a hint of orange. This bread is great by its self, or toasted with butter or cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment